Introduction to Yoga, Social Justice, and Community Building
This foundational course provides an introduction to terms, concepts, and practical tools as they relate to yoga, service, and outreach. This immersion is an accessible way to understand how mindful practices can support our awareness in the world, strengthen our knowledge around power, privilege, and access; and create the least amount of harm when engaging within and across communities.
You do not have to be a yoga teacher or regular practitioner of yoga to benefit from this course; however, 10 Yoga Alliance CEUs can be earned after completion. This course is for anyone who is need of a beginner’s approach to understanding the connections between our practice and social change.
During this 10 hour course, you will learn:
- What social justice is and how it relates to our daily practice.
- How to find your voice and purpose through embodied practices and reflection.
- How to lay a strong and aware foundation for inclusive yoga classes, gathering communities, and talking about social change with others.
- How self care is essential and related to justice, community, and social engagement
- How to practice justice in our daily lives through mindful practices.
You will need:
-A lunch or snack for Saturday’s session
Dr. Chelsea Jackson Roberts is a 200 hour E-RYT, the co-founder of Red Clay Yoga, and founder of Yoga, Literature, and Art Camp for Teen Girls at Spelman College Museum of Fine Art. Chelsea is a faculty member of Off the Mat, Into the World and travels as a global yoga educator who teaches yoga practitioners how to use yoga as a tool for social change. Read more about Chelsea Jackson Roberts, Ph.D. by visiting chelsealovesyoga.com.
Shane Roberts is the co-founder of Red Clay Yoga and is a 200 hour RYT who is committed to justice, equity, and civic participation. Shane is a writer who places emphasis on the historical context of the United States in particular, as it relates to systems, communities, and power. Shane Roberts is a graduate of Kashi Atlanta and Off the Mat, Into the World Yoga, Purpose, and Action.
Early Bird: $350 Before February 15, 2018 -$425 After.